Friday, February 3, 2017

Recent Additions to Goodreads TBR



I haven't added books to my Goodreads in months and finally decided to add some so I could remember what they were for later. I thought it might be interesting to see what I have been looking at lately. What are some books you've recently added?



Paradise and Elsewhere by Kathy Page.
"The rubble of an ancient civilization. A village in a valley from which no one comes or goes. A forest of mother-trees, whispering to each other through their roots; a lakeside lighthouse where a girl slips into human skin as lightly as an otter into water; a desert settlement where there was no conflict, before she came; or the town of Wantwick, ruled by a soothsayer, where tourists lose everything they have. These are the places where things begin."
The Possessions by Sara Flannery Murphy. This is in this month's Book of the Month selection.
"In this electrifying literary debut, a young woman who channels the dead for a living crosses a dangerous line when she falls in love with one of her clients, whose wife died under mysterious circumstances"
Perfect Little World by Kevin Wilson. Another book from this month's selection by BOTM.
"Perfect Little World is the story of an ambitious sociological experiment called “The Infinite Family Project.” Dr. Preston Grind, a young and idealistic child psychologist, heads up the study with funding from an elderly big box store magnate, taking the “It takes a village” model of co-parenting to a new level."
Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough. The last book I added from this month's BOTM selection.
"When I shut the pages of Sarah Pinborough’s novel, I experienced a peculiar sense of terror, admiration, and satisfaction. I closed the book, clenched my eyes, and tried mightily to fall asleep. But just as I began to retreat to the safety of my dreams, I remembered: it’s not safe there either.
You’ll find out what I mean."
The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead.
"As Whitehead brilliantly re-creates the unique terrors for black people in the pre-Civil War era, his narrative seamlessly weaves the saga of America from the brutal importation of Africans to the unfulfilled promises of the present day. The Underground Railroad is at once a kinetic adventure tale of one woman's ferocious will to escape the horrors of bondage and a shattering, powerful meditation on the history we all share."
Whatever Happened to Interracial Love? by Kathleen Collins.
"Now available in Ecco’s Art of the Story series: a never-before-published collection of stories from a brilliant yet little known African American artist and filmmaker—a contemporary of revered writers including Toni Cade Bambara, Laurie Colwin, Ann Beattie, Amy Hempel, and Grace Paley—whose prescient work has recently resurfaced to wide acclaim."
The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli.

Final Girls by Riley Sager.

The Valiant by Lesley Livingston.


High Strung by Quinn Dalton.
"In vivid cinematic prose, "High Strung" balances humor on the rough edge of loss, regret, and wounded family love. Through it all, Merle Winslow's wry buthopeful voice reminds us of how we tell ourselves the story of our lives, real and imagined. Her travels -- back to her hometown and through her family's past -- lead us to the crossroads of place and memory."

If you are interested here is my referral link to Book of the Month!

4 comments:

  1. Final Girl sounds interesting! Have you seen the movie Final Girls with Nina Dobrev? It's a humorous play on that trope. Great list!

    Molly @ Molly's Book Nook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of Final Girl until I saw someone review the book on YouTube. No, I haven't seen the movie. I just looked it up on IMDB and it looks awesome! I'm going to try and get my hands on it!! Thanks for stopping by Molly!
      -Katie

      Delete
  2. Ooh, these all sound so great! I'm personally looking forward to reading The Valiant, Perfect Little World, and Paradise and Elsewhere! I hope you eventually get to read all of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jordan! There are very few Utopian novels out there so Perfect Little World is a great pic by Book of the Month. I heard that The Valiant was really well researched so I am all for reading it. I hope I get to these books sometime too!
      -Katie

      Delete