Friday, August 5, 2016

Mini Review Friday // 2



  Welcome back for the second installment of my meme: Mini Review Friday! I started this meme on my blog because I have thoughts about books that I wasn't given to review by the publisher that I'd like to share and I may not have enough to say for a full review. This week I will be reviewing nonfiction written by women. I would recommend all three books for unique reasons that I will clarify below. What did you think about the three books I reviewed today? Are you more interested now in picking them up?
________________________________________________


milk and honey by Rupi Kaur.
Own Physical Copy. Published October 6, 2015 by Andrews McMeel.
This is a collection of poetry and prose that has become a best seller in North America. The poems and prose are categorized under four chapters that have a different purpose: such as reflecting on love, femininity, and recovering from heartbreak. Kaur expresses her pain beautifully and in the end you are able to see through her poems happiness, "sweetness", that is waiting after periods of heartbreak, bitterness, and loss. Even if you don't completely love it I feel everyone should read this book. It is a quick, yet poignant, read for women and girls who can relate to these themes - find an expression of their feelings and thoughts given by the author when they are unable to find the right outlet. Also, men should read it for a different, raw perspective that will help empathize with women. I fell in love with this book and I recommend it all the time! This collection is also great for those newly dipping their toes into poetry. The prose is short, but it packs a punch in the few words Kaur uses for her poems. However, it brilliantly shows Kaur's resilience in these themes of violence, loss, love, sexuality and femininity. 





Dear Mr. You by Mary-Louise Parker.
Library - Kindle. Published November 10, 2015 by Scribner.
I was fascinated and curious about Parker's writing skills. I ended up pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the book and surprised by how much she had done in her life. The book is written as letters to men that have influenced her life in some way. The men she writes to range from lovers, family members to taxi drivers. You get to see/read how her brains works by the sentence structure, what she focuses on, etc. It's original, real, and extremely personal. I was shocked at times with how she was treated, I got teary-eyed, and was inspired to have my own little self-reflection (which is what I always tend to do when readying nonfiction). Can I get a full autobiography, please? I am super nosy about who the men are that she is referring to!! Her life seems so charged with events and people that it makes me question what the heck I am doing with mine! I would recommend this if you are a fan of hers and are intrigued to read a different take on memoirs! 





My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem.
Library - Kindle. Published October 27, 2015 by Random House.
This book is a mix of memoir and writings about the feminist movement. I enjoyed reading her perspective on events and facts about the movement and politics. I wouldn't buy this book, but it has peaked my interest to read more about certain people and the topic of women's liberation. I would love to be at one of her speeches or talk circles. I think this is a good read for those like me who have not read feminist movement literature and to be inspired to become a part of a movement and educate themselves. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment