Friday, July 15, 2016

Mini Review Friday // 1



   Fridays on my blog are usually the days I post my reviews. However, even if I am not reading an ARC for the publisher I would still like to say my peace about my own books and library books. I've seen this trend going around to feature multiple mini reviews in a post and thought that would be a great platform to express my thoughts. Some posts will be random books together and other posts will be themed with a series or genre I have read. Let me know your thoughts about mini reviews: if they are great or you prefer posts dedicated to on book; and what you thought about the books I reviewed in the post!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

 Jackaby by William Ritter. 
 Library - Kindle. Published September 16, 2014 by Algonquin Young Readers.
   In my opinion Jackaby is a great, short book with a good dose of supernatural punch. It's a mix of Sherlock Holmes + Buffy the Vampire Slayer + Doctor Who. I loved the characters Ritter created: Jackaby is a superb, supernatural spin on Holmes in New England; Abigail Rook is a great main character with an intellect and sense of adventure; not mention all the side characters that are equally intriguing. Of course I hope Jackaby and Miss Rook develop a romantic relationship throughout the series. I loved the writing as well. It was easy to get lost in the pages of this book with the writing and characters that well crafted. I will definitely be continuing on with the series. Not to mention the covers for this series are stunning!





Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick.
Library. Published September 13, 2011 by Scholastic Press.
  This was such a wonderfully crafted book! Selznick is a magical storyteller. He weaves different timelines and characters around each other in a way that you think you are reading two separate stories, but get surprised later in the book. He uses his medium, literature, to have his audience read and emotionally feel the story about two characters living with deafness. This story was clever, impressive and moving. I can't wait to read The Marvels







Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson.
Own Physical Copy. Published May 4, 2010 by Simon $ Schuster Books for Young Readers.
  This book was predictable, but a great summery, feel-good book! The book is more about Amy's journey across the United States that is paralleling with her grief over her father's death, troubled relationship with her brother, and distant mother. The road trip was well depicted with amazing playlists to go along with the state and tone of the story. I definitely listened to them as I read the book! It was also a great time to read this because I am still coping with the death of my grandfather. The book also showed the adventure and quirkiness to be found in the United States that people should find the time to explore. There wasn't too much romance, but the relationship between Amy and Roger felt to me almost too forced, SPOILER [like they had to be together in Matson's eyes when in reality even if they stayed good friends it would have worked too.] One annoying aspect was Amy constantly comparing herself to perfect Amy! in which we were only briefly introduced to this idea. It was nonsensical and too much to make a point for Amy to be ~dramatic and broken~. Overall, it was a sweet, realistic-ish read for the summer. I'm glad I finally picked it up.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! for Jackaby. This book and series doesn't get enough love in my opinion. Not only is Jackaby adorable and eccentric but he is funny in his own way. Glad that you enjoyed it. Do you plan on reading the other two books in the series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackaby is exactly how you described him! I will definitely read the next books! I'm happy my library has them and I hope to read the others this year.
      Thank you for stopping by and commenting!
      Take care,
      Katie

      Delete