Monday, November 2, 2015

October Wrap-Up and November TBR




What I Read: 

Irona 700 by Dave Duncan. 3/5 Stars. A fantasy novel following a woman who came from a modest life to be politically influential. Strong female protagonist, little romance, war, politics, if you like ancient history you might like this! My review is linked down below. 

Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman. 4/5 Stars. I bought my own copy! A YA novel based on The Lot Dutchman lore in late 19th-century Arizona, it follows tom-boy Kate out to seek vengeance for her father's murder. It takes you on a journey to the Superstition Mountains and introduces you to several endearing characters. My review is linked down below.

Pop Sonnets: Shakespearean Spins on Your Favorite Songs by Erik Didriksen. 5/5 Stars. A great gift for those who love Shakespeare and music. An innovative idea and in an aesthetically appealing hardcover edition. My full review is linked below!

Through the Woods by Emily Carroll. 4/5 Stars. I picked this up to get into the Halloween spirit. It is a gorgeous book with great illustrations. However, it wasn't THAT scary and I was confused with how to interpret one of the stories.   

Descender, Vol. 1: Tin Stars by Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen. 3.5/5 Stars. A sci-fi graphic novel about a boy robot and a civilization's quest to understand an event that happened 10 years ago. Mt full review is linked down below.



Blog Posts:

If I had a bookish genie these would be my 10 WISHES !

Five (Six) Authors I DISCOVERED this year and loved.

Here are 10 books that are perfect for Halloween/Horror on my To-Buy TBR list!

I made a short list of HALLOWEEN RECOMMENDATIONS from books I have read. 



Reviews:





Life: 

Since having our puppy I have started to slowly get back to a schedule of reading and posting on my blog. What I have read hasn't been big regarding page numbers, but I have tried to post good reviews for what I can read. The pup can't be home alone for long periods of time so that has been a hindrance on getting errands done outside of the house. I've become fanatic about graphic novels lately. I requested three for review from NetGalley (one is Descender) and bought some more for myself (read my Stacking the Shelves post later this week). It is starting to get foggy more often ==>> creepy. I hope November will be a better reading month for me.  


Currently Reading:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chobsky. I had been looking at this on my shelf for a couple months now and I finally just took and got absorbed in it. However, ages 57-88 are non-existent and so I have to get it from the library to finish reading it or buy a new book. Thanks to the publisher for the awesome printing and Book Outlet for not checking your merchandise before. 

The Courtesan by Alexandra Curry. The story of a real life Chinese courtesan who lived in the late 20th, early 21st Century.

The Art of Language Invention by David J. Peterson. A dense, yet interesting nonfiction book on how to construct your own language from the creator of the televised Dothraki of Game of Thrones.

 



November TBR:

I would like to finish these three books on my Currently Reading shelf. I don't want to have any remaining books on that shelf when the New Year comes. I have lots of books for review and on my monthly TBR lists on Goodreads. I will be taking from those lists depending on my mood. However, there is one book I want to get to for sure:

Becoming Darkness by Lindsay Francis Brambles. Published by Switch Press. This is for review.


2 comments:

  1. I really want to get a copy of Pop Sonnets! It sounds like such a hilarious & fun book to read.

    Hope you enjoy your reads this month! I look forward to hearing what you think about The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I've been meaning to read it for the longest time, but never got around to it . . .

    Julia Anne
    Peach Print

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the songs in Pop Sonnets were so funny! That was such a great idea.
      Thank you! I am #5 on my library Overdrive right now so I may have to go buy myself a new copy. I was enjoying the first 56 pages though. I can see why people fell in love with it.
      Thanks for stopping by and take care!

      Delete