Friday, July 31, 2015

April / May / June / July Wrap-Up



    I don't know what happened, but I completely slacked on my reading progress on my blog. I've kind of revived the blog this past month with Top 10 or 5 blog posts and a tag post. My class ended for a two month break in June and I have been more socially active as well. I've kept reading during this time though. I never seem to read enough or fast enough than I'd like. I tend to read slower when I really enjoy a book so that doesn't help. However, reading is not for the numbers or speed it is about enjoyment.
    I've had a love/hate relationship with the Book Depository the past few months. It is like there is someone who is taking my books in the post! How is that 80% of my purchases just lost in the mail?! I bought Isla and the Happily Ever After and it along with the replacement never arrived. 2 weeks now waiting for a re-sending of 2 of the Penguin 80 editions books. Anyway.
    I finally went on a honeymoon with my husband in June! Awesome time for both of us to disconnect from everything. Especially for my workaholic husband. You never realize how much you still carry things around with you until you are hundreds of miles away from everything.
   While 4 months would be a lot for people to recap it is easy for me since I only read 17 books. Some of which are novellas and less than 200 pages long. It has been a pretty eclectic mix of genres. I love variation though. So let's get to it.



April Wrap-Up:

   Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. 4/5 Stars.
   One of those books you don't realize how much you read because you want to know what happens and how the characters deal with situations. It is a like a satirical soap-opera that you could relate to. More character driven than plot driven. Leaves you thinking with how you spend and use your freedom.

   Forbidden by Kimberley Griffiths Little. 3/5 Stars.
   I enjoyed it, but it didn't leave me thinking about it after. The plot was really good and you weren't able to predict what would happen next. I would still recommend this to people who are into historical fiction. This period and geographical location is one that you don't see much of in historical fiction. The references people would make seemed pretty historically correct.



May Wrap-Up:

   Love in the Time of Global Warming by Francesca Lia Block. 5/5 Stars.
   This is a new favorite! I love parallelism of Homer's Odyssey.

   The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. 4/5 Stars.

   Where She Went by Gayle Forman. (If I Stay #2). 2/5 Stars.



June Wrap-Up:

   Very Good Lives by J.K. Rowling. 5/5 Stars.
   Another new favorite! I think this speech given to one of the best schools in the US was brilliant.

   Splintered by A.G. Howard. 3.5/5 Stars.
   It would have been a 4, but the cheesiness was too much to handle at some parts. However, this may be one of favorite series. I keep thinking about it after I read them!

   Matronly Duties by Melissa Kendall. 3/5 Stars.
   I was contacted by the publisher and was asked to be a part of the blog tour. I recommend it everyone. It is dystopian, but yet not sci-fi or fantasy. What people have in 2220 in their underground city is the same as what we have today. There isn't advanced technology and that is what made the novel for me more.. raw. The setting was great as an underground city that was made in anticipation for an incoming asteroid, but the events and political situations are those we can relate to in the present. So. I hope this becomes a duology or series. Mainly because I feel there is more to the story that can be told. This book left me wanting more! What is going to happen next to the corrupted council in Oceania!? What I loved most about Matronly Duties was it's focus on politics in an underground city after an asteroid hits the earth. 

   The Moth in the Mirror by A.G. Howard. 4/5 Stars.
   I enjoyed this view from Morpheus and got to get into his and Jeb's head a little.



July Wrap-Up:

In the final week of July, Shannon, of @leaninglights on Twitter, hosted the #TBRTakedown. While I was motivated to read the 5 books I only got through 2.5 books. I managed to fulfill the challenges of "First book in a series" with Talon, and "On your TBR the longest" with Y: The Last Man #4. Kind of disappointed with myself, but that's the brakes.

   The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer. 4/5 Stars.
   I enjoyed this so much! Love the wit, happiness mixed with devastating events.

   Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed. 3/5 Stars.
   I think I'm going to post a review of this with my thoughts. Great message, great plot, but the writing really left me a bit disappointed. A gripping, fast-paced book that I read in one day. This is a great book to promote diversity and support for women's rights. 

   Unhinged by A.G. Howard. 5/5 Stars.
   I love Morpheus. Though there was still a lot of cheesiness. If anything that would knock it down to a 4.5 rating.

   Y: The Last Man #3 by Brian K. Vaughan. 3/5 Stars.
   Y: The Last Man #4. 5/5 Stars.

   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. 4/5 Stars.
   I enjoyed this so much. I want to read the rest of the series now. Well at least the next two. I heard that with the last two he wrote, Adams wasn't happy with them.

   Uncharted TerriTori by Tori Spelling. Audiobook. 2/5 Stars.
   Something I listened to while cleaning/organizing. Nothing new if you watched her show.

   Talon by Julie Kagawa. 4/5 Stars.





Currently Reading:

   Ensnared by A.G. Howard. Book 3 in the Splintered Trilogy.

   Fearsome Magics, edited by Jonathan Strahan. For review through NetGalley.




August TBR:

   In the beginning of August the Book-Tube-A-Thon will be happening: August 3rd-9th. I will be using some books for my ARCAugust challenge and mix in some of my own books to keep me motivated. I think the readathon will help me with motivation for sure.
   Also, I will be participating in ARCAugust with a bunch of other book bloggers. I will be posting a separate TBR for that!



Books Bought:

For husband:
   The Deluge by Adam Tooze.

For me:
   Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.
   The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.



Books Challenges:

GR: I am on track as of right now finally! I have read 28/50 books this year.

A-Z Challenge: I have completed the letter A. Post will be coming in the future.

5 to 1: Now I feel it is better if this is just for my physical books. Since this is to help me reduce the rate of buying them for my shelves I will not longer consider ebooks or audiobooks as a part of it. Though ebooks consisted of almost 50% of my reading in the last 4 months. I have bought the two from above for this.



Blog Posts:

Matronly Duties Blog Tour: http://katiebibliophile.blogspot.com/2015_05_01_archive.html

Top 10 Books I Read from the first half of the year: http://katiebibliophile.blogspot.com/2015/07/top-ten-tuesday-books-ive-read-so-far.html
Some of my Bookish Habits: http://katiebibliophile.blogspot.com/2015/07/top-five-wednesday-bookish-habits.html
10 Diverse Books: http://katiebibliophile.blogspot.com/2015/07/top-ten-tuesday.html
Books Set in Missouri: http://katiebibliophile.blogspot.com/2015/07/top-five-wednesday-books-that-take.html
Mid-Year Freakout Tag: http://katiebibliophile.blogspot.com/2015/07/mid-year-book-freakout-tag.html



0 comments:

Post a Comment