Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: For Readers Who Like Historical Fiction



  To  go along with a Top Ten I missed a week or two ago I'm going to put the top ten Historical books I would recommend for those who love the genre as much as I do. Until a few years ago, HF was my go-to genre, but now I'm more obsessed with SFF. Here are 10 books that I felt are good at immersing you into the story and incorporating the period in which is was set it beautifully. 


10. A Room with a View E.M. Forster. Set in a time when the only freedom women were allowed to feel was travelling to foreign countries chaperoned by matronly cousins, this book may seem quiet, but speaks loudly of the kind of the human struggles between two young people.  

9. The Good Earth by Pearl. S. Buck. A novel about the repercussions of holding your possessions above your family. 

8. The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt. A detailed novel following the lives of a family in the Victorian era to WW1. 

7. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. From the imagination of a teenager in the 1960s. 

6. Cider House Rules by John Irving. 

5. Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt.  A memoir technically, but you have to read it! The first book that made me cry.  

4. A Rose for a Crown by Anne Easter Smith. Really good at capturing the time period and creating a captivating story.  

3. The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert. Gilbert pays incredible attention to historic detail.

2. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.

1. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I think I've praised this book quite enough on my blog. 








If you'd like to participate in Top Ten Tuesday here is a link to the topics for each week: http://www.brokeandbookish.com/p/top-ten-tuesday-other-features.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment