Friday, October 31, 2014

October Wrap-Up

Happy Halloween! At the end of each month I'm going to wrap-up the books I read and the physical copies (if I remember) that I bought. Amazon's Daily Deals for Kindle always suck me in and I buy them so randomly and multiple at once I won't mention them until I've read them. Once I get a new camera I can post pictures for haul posts. 


Below are the books I read in October:

1. Magic Slays by Ilona Andrews. #5 in the Kate Daniels Series
  Read: October 4-11, 2014
  Rating: 5/5 Stars
  It will be hard for me to give a Kate Daniels book less than 4 stars. I can't get enough of them.  In this book the people of magic combine their forces to deal with an anti-magic terrorist organization.

2. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
  Read: October 7-17, 2014
  Rating: 2/5 Stars
  I heard this was the least favorite of all his books for John Green fans. I was not impressed and vaguely entertained. This is the second book by him I've read. I listened to the audio book of Paper Towns before I knew he was huge years ago. I was entertained more by it. 

3. Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg - Audiobook
  Listened: October 9-22, 2014 
  Rating: 4/5 Stars
  I was conflicted when I listened to this. Overall I enjoyed it and think it is a great inspiration for women who want to go back into the work force and already are. However, I still had that nagging thought in my head, "You didn't go to an Ivy League school so you are screwed out of great opportunities without it on your CV." 

4. The Secret Place by Tana French. My review in a previous blog post.
  Read: September 8- October 26, 2014 (embarrassing)
  Rating: 4/5 Stars
  I ended up really enjoying this. The writing style took me awhile to get into since this was my first Tana French novel. It was captivating. 

5. Horrorstor by Grady Hendrix
  Read: October 26-29, 2014
  Rating: 4/5 Stars 
  I have to admit it was creepy at some parts. Plot was like a typical horror movie, but in an original setting. Loved the attention they put into the book as well.  


Physical books I bought:

1. Horrorstor by Grady Hendrix

2. Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

3. Paris by Edward Rutherfurd (for the husband)

4. The Secret History by Donna Tartt

5. A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh

6. Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Zafon is one of our favorite authors)


Plus, the multitude of Kindle books. Hopefully the presentation on here will get sexier for my wrap-ups. Ideas on what else to do for my wrap-ups? Visuals? It was a pretty good reading month for me. I have to say I prefer self-help and nonfiction books in audio format. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment